This is a very easy and delicious spread, dip or condiment for any gathering. Hummus is known by many different words such as hamos, homos, houmous, hommos, hommus, hummos or hummous. Don't worry too much about the spelling as they all refer to the same recipe and food. This dip is probably one of the most healthy available. It is packed with lots of protein, carbohydrates!
Here is my simple yet delicious recipe!
- 1 Cup cooked chick peas (if you are starting with dry chickpeas allow to soak overnight prior to cooking. They will take approximately 1-1.5 hours to cook. Reserve some of the cooking liquid or Canned liquid.
- 2 cloves of Garlic
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 2 T Tahini
- Pinch white pepper
- Juice of 1 small lemon or 1/4 cup.
- Add Chickpeas, Tahini, Cumin, garlic, pepper to food processor. Add 1/4 cup can or cooking liquid from peas to help with the processing.
- Process until the chick peas have a smooth and silky consistency. Add more liquid if required.
- Add salt and lemon juice and adjust accordingly. Hummus is meant to have an acidic bite so don't be afraid to use the lemon juice.
Hummus will keep in the refrigerator for about a week if you add a thin layer of oil to the top of your dip. To serve Hummus at a party, garnish with some parsley leaves and/or Paprika. Serve with cut pita bread or chunks of fresh bread.
You can make many alternatives to this classic recipe. Why not try roasting your garlic prior to adding it. How bout adding some chili powder to the ingredients. There are endless opportunities to tailor this dip to your liking. Experiment.